Monday, August 31, 2009

A fun tractor day

Don't know about you, but somedays things just don't go right.
I was collecting eggs from one of our flocks today when the dogs alerted me that a truck was driving down our road. (There's nowhere but here for it to go unless the driver's lost. And the dogs don't care anyway, they'll just bark at any intruder).
I realised that it was probably two pallets of egg cartons which I had ordered on Friday. So I took the trays of eggs up to the shed, locked up a couple of the marauders (ah Maremmas) and wandered off to get my Chinese tractor with it's Chinese front end loader with forks attached. Everything was going swimmingly.
And then the unloading began!
The first pallet came off the truck with a bit of juggling. Then of course I had to try to put it on the ground. Well, suffice to say the joystick mechanism isn't the most sensitive thing in the world and the pallet of cartons suddenly decided to tip forward and distribute themselves over the ground.
Oh well! One pallet down, one to go.
Should be easy - more room on the back of the truck.... Complacency is a wonderful thing....
The tractor was in low ratio, the forks were lined up with the pallet, it lifted off the tray of the truck - bloody brilliant and then ... crunch ... the loader arm touched the side of the truck (only a touch I swear).
The hydraulic hose coupling snapped and warm hydraulic fluid sprayed over the truck, the truck driver, the cartons, the tractor and me. Oh joy!!!!!
At least it wasn't raining and I was able to get the cartons into the shed by hand. I must be stupid because I thought that machines were supposed to make our lives easier.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A motivating discussion is definitely worth comment. I think that you
need to write more on this subject matter, it may not be a taboo matter but typically
people don't talk about these topics. To the next!
Kind regards!!

Look into my web blog ... barn for sale